Boston BJJ Participation Guidelines
The following guidelines have been established to ensure a safe and fun environment for all participants:
- Please arrive 10 minutes before class starts so that the instructor may begin on time.
- If you are late, wait for the instructor’s permission to enter the mat area.
- Keep your gi clean and your finger/toe nails trimmed and clean.
- Secure long hair to prevent interference while training with your partner.
- Remove all jewelry before entering the mat area.
- No shoes should be worn in the mat area.
- Bow each time you enter or leave the mat area.
- Face the wall when fixing your gi or to tie your belt.
- Comply with your instructor’s directions at all times.
- Do not use foul language in the Academy.
- Eliminate extraneous conversation or noise during class.
- No training is permitted without express permission and under the supervision of your instructor.
The following rules must be observed to ensure the safety of all participants:
- No attacks to the spine, including neck cranks and “twister” type moves.
- No knee bars, heel hooks, or other attacks to the ankles and knees.
- No finger or toe locks.
- No attacks to the eyes or ears.
- No slamming.
- No chokes on children under 14.
- No striking or kicking unless specified by the instructor.
- Yield the right of way to higher ranks.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Do not run into others on the training floor.
- Begin training from your knees (no takedowns or stand-up techniques) unless specified by the instructor.
- Control your pace and intensity level so that you can ensure you won’t hurt yourself or your partner.
Please check in each time you enter the academy for training. In order to receive maximum benefit from your training and achieve your personal goals, it is important to attend classes regularly (at least 2 times per week)! By completing a membership agreement, you are agreeing that you intend to train regularly.
Membership fees are due on the first of each month. Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has selected an acceptance company to collect membership fees by automatic draft. You will be receiving a letter of introduction from this company shortly. It is your responsibility to ensure that sufficient funds are available to cover membership fees at the time of the automatic draft each month. The acceptance company may apply additional fees to your account in the case of insufficient funds. Non-payment of membership dues in a timely fashion may result in temporary suspension of membership privileges until your account is settled. You may upgrade or downgrade your membership type any time at the front desk.
Cancellation / Freeze Policy
If you are ever unable to participate for an extended period of time (greater than one month), you may freeze your membership temporarily by completing a membership freeze / cancellation form at the front desk. You may cancel your membership at any time by notifying Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in writing of intention to terminate at least thirty days prior to the last draft date. This may be accomplished by completing a membership freeze / cancellation form at the front desk. Non-attendance does not constitute membership cancellation, and dues that have been paid are non-refundable. Membership account status must be paid in full at the time of the last draft to complete membership cancellation.